SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• MBA, BS in Computer Science, experienced in all areas of IT as well as education & training, Mensa Member
• Veteran, 12 years US Air Force (Captain), Computer Systems Officer, Network+, Security+
Assistant Professor, Computer Information Management 2015 – Present
Irvine Valley College, Irvine, CA
Faculty member responsible for the curriculum and instruction of courses in the computer networking field in the School of Business Sciences. Engages with the local business community to ensure curriculum is relevant and course skills are in demand as well as developing opportunities for student internships and jobs. Maintains proficiency in the computer networking field through professional organizations and other training opportunities.
• Rewrote and updated curriculum for eight courses and an Associate of Science Degree program. The major revision updated content to cover new technology and align to the state’s model curriculum.
• Cisco Networking Academy certified instructor for CCNA 1 – 4 courses.
• CompTIA Network+, Security+ and Cisco CCNA Certifications
Business Information Systems Administrator 2012 – 2014
City of Beverly Hills, Beverly Hills, CA
Division head with a staff of three responsible for the City’s website/web services, geographic information systems, and applications/databases. Overall project management of various City initiatives. Provides technical advice and consulting services to business units within the City in the areas of systems analysis, feasibility studies, benefit analysis, process improvement, best practices, and business modeling.
• Project manager for a 17 city, $1.5 million Dept. of Homeland Security funded, Smart Classroom initiative that installed advanced telecomm gear in Fire Dept. Training Facilities throughout LA County. Coordinated site surveys and installation; conducted training and operational testing for a system that allows fire fighters to remotely and interactively attend training offered at any site.
• Responsible for the implementation of the City’s new Enterprise Resource Planning suite of software. The $2.1 million project involves all City departments, hundreds of on-site vendor training sessions, and will replace the City’s financial, payroll, human resources, billing, and permitting applications.
• Point person for the department’s contract negotiations for many upcoming initiatives including an upgrade to the utility services hardware and software, emergency notifications system, Fire Dept. scheduling/timekeeping system, and resident water usage tracker. Established scope of work, analyzed business practices, and represented the City to ensure staff/resident requirements are met.
Associate Professor of Aerospace Studies, California State University 2007 – 2011
US Air Force, Fresno, CA
Recruited, trained, motivated, and counseled over 250 officer candidates for leadership positions in the United States Air Force. Instructed students in all four years of ROTC leadership training (intro, theory/history, current principles, and application). Actively involved in curriculum development, career counseling, and tutoring.
• Selected best ROTC Instructor in Southwest Region (1 of 83) in 2009 and instrumental in the detachment winning unprecedented two consecutive Best Detachment in the Nation awards in 2009 & 2010.
• Exceeded standards, headquarters deemed recruiting plan a ‘model all should follow’ during intense 100+ point inspection. Received highest rating and plan now used as an ROTC best practice.
• Infused graduate MBA leadership and management material into ROTC curriculum. Outstanding student rating of 4.89 out of 5, highest instructor score at unit in 10 years.
• Instruction/mentoring produced results; student leader 4th (out of 4800) in the nation, the first female in a decade selected for pilot training, medical student earned a full scholarship to a DoD Medical School, and a pilot-select earned an invitation to train at exclusive joint US-NATO fighter pilot training facility
• Drill Instructor at basic training; 27 days of 18+ hours/day, led 40 students through intense leadership reaction scenarios/confidence courses. Asked by senior leadership to return as a trainer of trainers.
• Overhauled unit’s website; built from ground up to university and Air Force standards. New photo gallery, news feed, awards recognition, and contact forms added. Students now have a secure place to disseminate/post important unit operational documents or view career related material.
Director of Staff, Support Division 2005 – 2007
US Air Force, Warner Robins, GA
Coordinated executive support, long-term planning, and evaluation programs for 1,900 personnel in six subordinate organizations. Advised senior leaders on policies and procedures to sustain the successful operation of all support functions required to maintain the combat readiness and effectiveness. Focal point for employee recognition programs, tactical plans and metrics, and performance evaluations. Provided decision-making support during site-wide emergency contingency operations.
• Instrumental in selection of three department managers/one vice division head. Prepared biographies, past performance reports, conducted interviews, and discussed recommendations with senior leaders.
• Led 3-week Lean (6-Sigma) event, overhauled site’s new employee orientation process. Month-long inefficient hiring process reduced to 1.5 weeks. Managers get ‘ready-to-work’ employees 62% faster.
• Implemented paperless executive correspondence tracking for over 2500 reports a year. Decreased paper usage by 70%. Senior leaders so impressed, tracking system went site-wide within one year.
• Managed planning, support, and logistics for 25K personnel event for entire site. Praised by mayor and senior executives, “Flawless execution.”
• Oversaw emergency readiness for a 60K visitor air show; coordinated efforts of several community/military agencies. Over 200 personnel involved in planning and safety operations. Liaison to senior leaders during the show. “Flawless execution…again.”
• Streamlined sensitive Congressional Action reports. Trusted executive agent for 84 inquiries to/from federal Congressional offices; all deadlines met ahead of schedule.
Manager, Network Operations Office 2004 – 2005
US Air Force, Warner Robins, GA
Directed staff of 50 IT specialists administering over 200 servers valued at $2.5M with a customer base of 25K. Services provided included email, instant messaging, file sharing, back up, and websites. Prepared strategic plans for future system architecture upgrades. Base crisis action team representative and liaison with higher headquarters network operations and safety center.
• Spearheaded requirement to migrate certain websites to national webservers. Instructed 100 local web administrators on procedures/timelines. Migration completed one month ahead of Air Force deadline.
• Led $20M data center project. Assisted with unit’s strategic transition plan to migrate 45K customers in four locations to regional data and messaging center. Created training plan and instructed 300 IT technicians on migration procedures during training seminars. Site had the lowest error rate in region.
• Sought staff recognition. Office’s 50 members (out of a department of 300) won nearly 50% of employee recognition awards.
• Enhanced staff’s skills with IT training courses. On-site training solution saved $400K.
• Proactive approach to security. Ensured timely install of Air Force network security directives, 70% before issuance by HQ.
Project Manager, Strategic Plans and Programs 2003 – 2004
US Air Force, Warner Robins, GA
Ensured effective, efficient management of 120 active projects for site-wide IT resources valued at $188M. Managed implementation of the strategic IT network architecture plan supporting 25K employees. Oversaw over 3,000 annual higher headquarters IT infrastructure requirements.
• Selected as the site’s top IT officer for 2004, beating out 53.
• Spearheaded installation of the largest industrial complex wireless communications network in Georgia. Installation included retrofit of a communications vehicle with a wireless base station and roaming Wi-Fi security assessment tool including GPS and satellite imagery. Vehicle identified 116 unauthorized wireless networks within weeks of going active.
• Focal point for the largest medical network upgrade in site’s history. $1.2M infrastructure modernization project overhauled all aspects of communication systems (bandwidth, wiring, computers, etc.). No disruption to life-critical operations.
• Developed, designed, and planned a $1.3M communications facility renovation that consolidated multiple IT functions from two organizations. Synergy of co-location eliminated redundant efforts and increased communication between employees.
• Led effort for a $10M infrastructure upgrade. Eight government and contractor agencies involved in classified network upgrade doubling site’s bandwidth.
• Devised site’s video teleconference upgrade plan; $39K, state-of-the-art system; scrutinized existing circuits/bandwidth and revealed surplus capacity, saved $4K and completed project ahead of schedule.
Network Administrator 1998 – 2003
US Air Force, Honolulu, HI
Planned, managed, and supervised overall computer network administration and operations, providing comprehensive “around-the-clock” IT support for nearly 100 users on 1 unclassified and 2 classified networks. Served as liaison with site’s unclassified and Secret network administrators to ensure seamless access to web, file, and email services. Administered seven Top Secret servers and networking equipment valued at over $500K that provided connectivity to the nation’s intelligence agencies.
• Administrator for Solaris/Unix, Exchange, IIS, and Windows domain controllers for 350 desktops with 99.94% uptime. Expertise/outstanding reputation led to the National Security Agency granting admin rights to manage user accounts at the local level, only the second administrator ever granted these privileges. Supervisor, “Most competent technician I’ve worked with in 20 years, simply the best.”
• Selected as the organization’s top IT technician in the Pacific region in 1999, beating out 43 other techs.
• Catalyst for network architecture upgrade; integrated expansion project with existing infrastructure. Devised time-phased execution to minimize downtime. Saved unit $45K by personally installing all fiber optic cabling and networking equipment at night and on weekends.
• Managed IT help desk; revamped trouble ticket process that reduced average response time by 50%.
• Trained IT savvy users from each section to perform basic workstation maintenance. Organized training schedules, created lesson plans, held follow-up/advanced seminars. Help desk calls reduced by 80%.
EDUCATION / TRAINING
MBA, 2010, California State University, Fresno, CA – 3.43 GPA
BS, Computer Science, 2002, Hawaii Pacific University, HI – 3.88 GPA
Certifications: CompTIA’s Network+ and Security+, Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
Air Force Leadership Courses – Officer Training, Advanced Leadership and Management
Air Force Technical Training – Computer Systems/A+ equivalent, Communication/Networking